December 18, 2009

Terralta Cottage




Today I finally  finished something that has been in the works, (at least in spirit), for many years. I had always wanted to place my childhood home, Terralta Cottage, located in Port Hope, ON,  on canvas, but never had the audacity to even contemplate the attempt. I was pleasantly surprised with the result, however. Again, as per usual, my fears were all ill based. Confidence and I are not well acquainted......yet, (or should I say still?). But with each experience, I gain more and more respect for the craft and my interpretation of it.

As for the house, it holds so many memories as well as a few ghosts. I spent thirteen years in this home with my family from age 4 to age 17, so it has quite a bit of nostalgia attached to it. Clicking on the title provides a link that will lead you to a little history and pictures of how the home looks today, (after a couple total renovations-- one of which I was lucky enough to be given a tour of). The painting depicts most closely how it looked when we occupied the residence.

This place will always hold a bit of mystery and in a small way, a large part of my childhood happiness within her walls.



2 comments:

  1. One day hun, I'm going to walk into a shop to find your name on the art. And you know what? I'm going to buy the lot.

    You.are.amazing.

    Better never forget it. I loves ya.

    Philly xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whow! It looks like a photgraph. My husband Rob restored the tower back to its original about 8 or 9 years ago. What a beautiful home. What a beautiful artist!
    Leslie Allison-Dukes

    ReplyDelete

Christmas 2018

These are quick paintings I completed the week before Christmas for friends and family members. I shall know next year to start earlier (whe...